WWFY

5:07 PM , , 4 Comments

KAL, WIP, FO* - if you're not a hardcore knitter, you're probably wondering what all those letters mean!  And now another one to add to the mix - WWFY.

WWFY stands for Will Work For Yarn.

Basically, if you have the yarn ready for a project but not the time to knit it you can ask to 'hire' a knitter.  Usually you pay in yarn (the equivalent yarn as that being knitted) or shop vouchers to the same value or even just any agreed upon payment for the service.

There's a group on Ravelry set up for Australian & NZ people that I've been keeping an eye on so I can score some "free" yarn.  And I've recently offered to knit someone the very funky Ashworth Scarf in exchange for a mystery baby knit kit.


Though, I'm hoping I haven't over-committed as the scarf is knit in laceweight (2ply) on 2.75mm needles!


Now, I say mystery knit kit because I'm discovering that I'm a very indecisive person when it comes to choosing yarn colours for projects.  I'm much happier letting other people decide for me (within general guidelines depending on the project - i.e. neutrals, bold, girly, etc) and said so to my partner.


So, anyway, yesterday I received in the post a lovely package from Tangled Yarns (the person I'm knitting for is in Australia), wrapped up really gorgeously.


And inside were four balls of Biggan Designs DK Merino in the colours Light Khaki and Crimson and a single button to match (it turns out that there were suppose to be 10 buttons, so I have 9 more on their way!)

I'm just waiting on my person's package of project yarn which she's told me has the mystery pattern that goes with this yarn.  Though, it does feel a bit strange to receive payment for a job before you've even started it!

And even though it looks like the scarf knitting is going to keep me busy for a while, I'm actually looking forward to it.  I really enjoy knitting in laceweight and it's mostly stocking stitch anyway so should be easy mindless knitting.


*KAL=Knit-A-Long, WIP=Work-In-Porgress, FO=Finished Object


Amber

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard.

4 comments:

  1. I love WWFY, I have scored some great yarns and have lots more coming. The other plus is that you get to work with some yummy yarns too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, never head of this and it is a FABULOUS idea. Off to go and see what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog. I hope you like your payment yarn and pattern. I've made a few from that pattern myself :) I also find that you can end up knitting a pattern that you love but would never wear. And in colours you love but won't wear. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I just googled WWFY as I came cross it on my daighter's Ravelry page and wondered what on earth it meant, and Ms Google presented me with you! For which I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments give me the warm fuzzys! Thanks for leaving yours...